Thursday, February 20, 2014

Smart Phone Navigation



Over the past year or so I have changed my thoughts about boat navigation equipment. The digital compass has changed the instrumentation available. A digital compass can now be so small it can be put in to almost any electronic device. They are now in smart phones and along with GPS programs in smart phones, a smart phone can be used quite nicely for casual navigation. An I-tablet likewise and they will give you a larger screen.
You do or should get a waterproof case for them. A zip lock bag can work and it will keep water splashes off them, but a waterproof case is better. There are some great nav. apps now available at no or reasonable cost if you want more than what comes in the smart phone.
The smart phone can give you a compass, a GPS, map/charts, and a radio (the Phone). For a small boat that you are not going far off shore in or in just a local area that has cell service it can give you the info you need. I still recommend that any boat should have a compass, digital or magnetic, and a VHF radio. These can be used as a backup and can be kept in your dry box that goes out with you.
If you have a larger boat you still will want real dedicated navigation equipment. What I have found is that for most of the day sailing I do these days, the only built in instrument on the boat that I use much is the depth finder. I use my I phone for everything else.


No comments:

Post a Comment