Thursday, February 4, 2016

classic dock cleats

Down here in Florida the wood on your docks need to be replaced every so often.  Some of my dock boards have lasted for years and others go in only a few years.  I do not think the newer treated lumber lasts as long as the old stuff, but it is safer for the environment.  When I was replacing boards this year I thought I would replace the dock cleats so that they all were the same.  My dock had odd cleats and I needed or wanted to add a few more anyway.

Sticker shock on what replacing them hit me when I went shopping.  The ones I liked were big bucks.  I found some large wood ones that were real classy.  They must have been for a nice classic old wood yacht, nice red wood smooth varnished cleats.  And they were not cheap.

I though they would make my dock look like my dock was owned by a rich guy who's Sh## did not stink.  Then I thought a wood cleat would not last.  Then I thought a wood cleat would last as long as the dock boards.  Then I thought I could easily make wood cleats that looked like these with minimal cost and a little work.

I picked up two ruff cut ceder two by fours and with a band saw cut out the blanks.  Then with a belt sander unit, rounded the edges and hand shaped them.  After 3 coats of spar varnish they looked great.  Each one was a little different, but they are not right next to each other so you can not tell.  They are also big enough you can easily tie a big line two and the ceder varnished up and they have a lush red tone which makes them stand out on the dock.  Easily seen when looking for a cleat and easily seen so you do not trip over them.  They are very classy looking.

Now my wife said that I should make a ceder dock box and bench to go with the cleats to really make the dock look high class.   8-(

What I said to that was a Classic Wood Christ Craft would look nice at the dock also but...

No comments:

Post a Comment