Sunday, August 30, 2015

Broke wrist at start of cruse.

My wife's brother invited us to go sailing on his boat with him this year. H sail's up to Maine ech summer. My wife jumped at the invitation and we planed our trip.  The day we were to head out was a bad stormy day and Wendy wanted to check how our boats were tied up just in case a bad storm hit our house when we we gone.  I went down to the dock and slipped on the stairs that go down to the dock.  I did a twisting fall and came down on my butt on one of the steps and I tried breaking the fall with my right arm.  I new I had broken my tail bone ( I have done that before ) and my right wrist hurt like a &#@!.   I checked out my wrist and I figured nothing major was broken.  As a old X-Ray tech I have seen lots of broken forearms and wrists so I felt sure nothing major was broken.

I thought I might have a chip fracture of the styloid process of the ulna and if so a splint not a cast was  ball that was needed.  I was NOT going to the ER just for that.

We headed out.  An extra pillow on the seat took care of the tailbone and the wrist was sore and only hurt when I rotated it.  The wrist got more sore as the day went on. The next morning it was nicely swollen...fat knuckles and very tender over the lateral side of the wrist.  I ace wrapped it and took some aspirin.

We got up to Maine and got to the boat.  I quickly found I was not much help as a crew man with the wrist.  I also found the a life jacket was great to sit on.  Like a ring pillow, the neck hole let you sit with out putting pressure on the tailbone.  After 4 days the swelling had gone done, but turning the hand hurt.

The worst thing was using the head.   Getting pants up and down one handed with the boat healing and bouncing was a feat.  One day when we had ruff seas with rolling waves...I now know what a ketchup  bottle feels like when it is pounded on.  8-)

Still, all in all, the trip was fun.  Both body parts now are not giving me much discomfort.  The wrist has a notable larger styloid process then I had but everything works right if I do not over do it.  Some twisting movements still makes it hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment