Sunday, May 26, 2013

Big Money Any Day Now!




Big Money Any Day Now!
My sister knew she was going to get a big payoff from Publishers Clearinghouse. She was always sharp minded up to the last 9 months before she died. She, I think, was having mini strokes for about 2 years and lost much of her common sense, but the last 6 months were the most obvious to her friends. I lived more than 1200 miles away and did not know she was going downhill. My sister and I did not get along all that great.
After she died and I was working on her estate I learned from her best friend that she had been swindled out of much of her savings by a money manager that was buying and selling stocks for her. He got his fee each time he sold a stock and another fee when he bought another. The only one making money was him.
He talked her in to taking out a mortgage on her house that was already paid off so she could get a tax deduction and so she could have money for him to invest for her. Again, he was the only one that came out ahead on that deal. When her best friend discovered what was going on he had him fired, but she was out her savings.
She knew she was going to get a big payout from PCH because she kept getting letters from them telling her she was a winner and had been selected for the next stage in the giveaways. She always believed that you do not get anything free, so she would order something each time she got a new letter. I was dumbfounded by the PCH bills she had. She had magazine subscriptions of all types, and had ordered junk gifts that she would never use, still in the manufacture’s packaging. And of course the bills for these things were still coming in 6 months after she had died. She was on a auto send program where they would send her an idem each month and if she kept it, would be billed about two months later. Getting off PCH was a 9 month process and sending “She’s Dead” letters became normal.
It became a joke that “The big Check would come any day”. I started to put in the dead letter: “If the Estate gets a PCH winning check in the mail the Estate will pay the bill”.  That actually seemed to work in getting PCH stuff from coming and bills from coming.
My wife was working on a PCH mailing the other day and said that she had to go through the stuff two or three times to find the stickers and codes so she could send it back in. All I could think of was: THE BIG CHECK WILL SOON BE COMING TO OUR DOOR!
She said It could happen. My thoughts on that were: And the dog will not get fleas! But I did not say that out loud. I guess it could happen and I could possibly win at lotto if I played.

No comments:

Post a Comment