Saturday, January 4, 2014

Been in Florida To Long



I think I have been in Florida to long. We just had a cold front come through and the temperature outside in in the high 50s and I need a parka to go out in it. The temperature inside the house is 71 degrees and I cannot get warm. Hot coffee, hot soup, heating pad…these help but I am still cold.
I put on a T-shirt, a long sleeve flannel shirt, and a sweatshirt, with long paints and I was still cold. I was pleased when the dog and two cats got on the couch with me. We all were sharing our body heat, and they did not even mind when I put a blanket around us.
The news was showing the truly cold weather the north east is having, and I remember that type of weather as a kid up in Ill. and Ind. in the winter. I do not miss it. When the family would go to the lake house in the winter, I remember an ice sheet in the toilet of the one bathroom that was on the outside wall of the house. No one wanted to use that bathroom. My brother said the first one to use the toilet in the morning could freeze to it! I was afraid of sticking to the toilet seat so some other family member had to use the bathroom before I would. I also remember mom putting a lot of food out on the porch to keep cold so she could have more room in the refrigerator. Things like soda pop, beer, cheese, and butter all went in a cooler on the porch. If it was going to get real cold, the cooler lid was closed.
I did make a little money by shoveling the snow for the two old ladies that lived down the street. I did not find out till I was older that my Mom was the one that paid me for doing it, she wanted to help the old ladies.
I also remember come spring the mega tuffs of grass in the back yard when the grass started to grow. These were the poop areas where the dog did it on the snow. With two dogs the back yard always had lots of brown and yellow snow spots.
All this talk about cold has made me even colder…Guess I will get another coffee but a little Irish coffee this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment