Monday, July 20, 2015

Gas sprayed out when I pluged fuel line in! 8-(

I bought a new fuel tank for my dingy...the old one was ... well just old and had seen better days.  I got it filled and tank was sitting in the sun while I was getting the boat ready to go.  When I plugged the fuel line in I got spayed with gas. 8-(

That never happened with my old tank.  I did not think much of it till it happened again.  What I found out was that the new tanks all have a EPA required zero-emission vent that will not open till an internal pressure of  5 lbs builds up.  It is suppose to prevent volatile gas fumes from escaping into the air.  Now what happens is when the tank gets an internal pressure built up, it pushes gas out when you try to plug in the gas line.  This happens at either end of the fuel line.

Now it just dumps fuel...when the tank gets hot and pressure builds up. 8-(

What I have to do is open the tank to vent off the fumes before I hook up the fuel lines.  So much for EPA right.   What the fix for this is to install a fuel-demand valve in the fuel line.  You put the new valve in the fuel line between the tank and the primer bulb.  A fix for the EPA fix.   And the parts to fix the problem is ONLY ABOUT $30.00 if you do not have to get a new fuel line also.   Oh Well!  It is only money

No comments:

Post a Comment