Thursday, July 23, 2015

Wenches...Service your winches

Wenches need to be serviced to keep them working right.  The manufacture's say they should be serviced one a year but I have found every 2 or 3 years is all that is needed.  Most wenches are very simple inside and not hard to work on.  They come apart easily and are easily cleaned and lubricated.

When you take them apart you need to note which way the ratchet tabs face so you can put them back facing the same way.  The wenches on my little sailboat can be re-assembled so they can be made to ratchet in either direction.

I serviced my wenches and I made one wind one way and the one on the other side of the boat turn the other way.  That way I would always wrap the line around the wench from the water side of the boat.   That was till my wife gave me the what for and made me change one so both were the same.  8-)

Doing a service on your wenches to keep them working is quick and easy.  It is a easy DIY job.


No comments:

Post a Comment