Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Two free Boat bumpers


Two free Boat bumpers

I went down to our boat dock this morning and was wishing that there was just a little more breeze to make it a nice sailing day when I saw a boat bumper floating in the canal across from our boat. I like finding free stuff like that. From the size of it, the bumper was not a cheap one, and in fact we had two just like it. I got the kayak off the dock and paddled over to it a pulled claimed my prize. When I got back to the dock I found it was not just like the ones we had, it was one of the ones we had. The line that had held it on the boat had just rubbed through and the bumper had just taken a swim.

I checked the lines on all our bumpers and replaced the lines on two of them. I still think I was lucky to have found a free bumper even if it was my own. I was still dollars ahead not having to buy a replacement for it.

The other free bumper was one we had found when we were sailing in Key West. We found this big bumper drifting in open water. It was very big, about 2 ½ ‘in diameter and 4’ long.  We hooked a line to it and towed it back to the Marina we were at. It took 3 of us to get it on to the dock. The bumper was damaged on one side and one of the big rings that a line would have been tied to was broken.  With the good side up, it made a nice dock fixture. This big brown bumper got nicknamed “The Turd” by the others on the dock. The name fit, and it was functional and we put it to use when a storm came up. The rest of the time it was dock art. It was too large for us to take with us when we left Key West so we do not know what became of “The Turd”. The best that could be said about it was it was free.

No comments:

Post a Comment