Monday, January 14, 2013

Rope Chafe Problem



Quick Rope Chafe Remedies

There are many ways to prevent your boat lines from chafe. I had sticker shock on the cost of new lines when I priced them out. A chafe guard is a lot cheaper than replacing the line and it is basic info for boaters. One of the spring lines on the boat had a nice mid rope chafe in it from rubbing on the edge of the dock.  It was totally my fault, the hose I had over the line had slid away from that part of the line.
As a quick fix I put a sheepshank tied around the chafe till I can buy a replacement line for the boat. A sheepshank will keep the stress off the weak spot, and what is neat with this knot is that with a quick snap of the line it will untie itself.

A boat fender can be used as a chafe guard over a toe rail. It is a quick chafe guard when you need to tie up.

If a fender is not available you can coil up the free end of the line or another line and stuff it under the line where it is going to chafe. It is a quick temporary fix till you can come up with a better chafe guard.

My wife likes to use reinforced vinyl hose in several sizes larger diameter than the line.  It can be cut to length and then can be stitched in place if need be with a stitch or two of sail twine.  Old fire hose is also a good chafe preventer,  that is, if you know a fireman! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment