Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Suspenders and sailboats



Suspenders and sailboats

With the holidays I have been wearing red Santa suspenders that had given to me over 10 years ago. After all you can only wear them for a few weeks a year…well I guess you could wear them all year round, but I do not.

I was working on the battery compartment of my sailboat, and being festive in my red suspenders at the same time. I think it must be a rule that a boat battery has to be put in a place that it is out of the way and a little inconvenient to work on. With mine, you have to kneel in the cockpit and lean into the storage area. Of course, you have to empty out part of the locker, and those things I just set in the cockpit. Then the safety cover over the batteries has to come off and I set it in the cock pit. Now I have access to the batteries but not much room in the cockpit. 8-)

The battery terminals were a little corroded so I thought I would clean them since I was in there anyway. I got up to get the cleaning tools, and as I did, I caught my suspender strap on something. I could not stand up and because of the things I had set around the cockpit I could not turn to un hook it. I had done a partial turn when I started to stand and could not return to the position I had been in. I figured if I pulled on it would in snap. I pulled, it unsnapped and popped up and hit me in the head and then recoiled and wrapped around something else.

I was still stuck but not as badly. I was not going to just pull on it again…That snap on the end really hurt when it popped me. I just would unsnap the suspenders and get free. That was not as easy as I thought it should have been. I could reach one of the clips but it did not want to un snap. After I freed myself I found that the one end of the suspender had neatly wrapped around the main sheet line. If I had wanted to do that, there would have been no way I could have done it.

I thought it was funny after I got composed. I first rearranged the cockpit so I had more maneuvering room. I got my tools and as I moved passed one of the shrouds, it reached out and grabbed my suspenders. That was it...I took the red Santa things off. It was obvious my boat did not like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment