Friday, February 1, 2013

Jerk Lures



Old Timer Fishing Tips ... Jerk Lures .

I am always overwhelmed when I see how many fishing lures there are out there. They all look good to me and the prices go from less than a $ 1.00 up. I always figure the ultra-cheap will not be any good…if they worked they would sell for more. I stay away from the high dollar ones also…I will just lose those in a tree or a tree branch under water. 8-)

I remember buying a package of 3 fishing lures for $15.00 and a friend said that was dumb…how much fish can you buy at the market for $15.00 was his comment. I lost all three without catching a fish. 8-) But it was fun losing them.

I was out trying to catch anything the other day…OK, I was just out trying to cast and see if I could improve my casting. My right arm and shoulder do not work like they used to and I cannot control where the lure goes as well as I used to.

I was just casting off the back of my boat (boat was still at the dock) when an old guy (a man that made me feel I was young) in a small boat came down our canal. He had a bucket of large fish. We started talking and I ask what type of bait he was using. He said “any old cheap thing will work…Fish are dumb”. I smiled and said they seem to be smarter than me.

He asked what I was using and I showed him a long thin lure with 3 treble hooks on it. He smiled and said that should catch fish. I said I was using it because it was heavy enough to cast and that I had never caught anything with it.

He watched me cast it out and reel it in a few times but said nothing. The next time I cast it out he said what I was using was a jerkbait lure. I should not just real it in at a constant rate. He said I should give it a small jerk, let it settle and then another small jerk and bring it in that way. 

I asked him what he was using and pointed to his bucket of fish. He said he caught one on a plastic worm and the others on a spoon. I told him I had never caught anything on a spoon lure. He said they can be good and that he just jiggled a spoon lure vertically over a hole. The fish come up to see what it is. 

I thought you cast them out and reeled them in. He said you can do that also, but just jiggling the lure worked well for him.

I asked him if he often fished in this area, and he said some. I asked when he would be back so I could learn more from him. He smiled and said soon. 8-) I am going to keep an eye out for this “Old Fisherman” and get some more fishing tips. If they work I will pass them on.

No comments:

Post a Comment