Thursday, January 21, 2016

Boat LED lighting useing 110 LED lightbulbs.

With the availability of 110 LED light bulbs that fit in to a standard light fixture I went with all LED light bulbs in all my light fixtures on the boat...the ones that were on the 110 land plug side of the boat wiring.  When plugged in to the dock it is just like a land house.  I do have a DC Converter that lets me run small AC things off the batteries but not the AC lights.

There are just 3 main overhead AC lights on the boat.   I was put in a new electric box in and rain the 3 lines to those lights in to it.  Then I wired AC in to the box from the land line circuit, and also a line in to the box from the DC converter box.  These went to a switch that would let me select which would supply the lights with AC.  Now at the dock I use the land AC,  and on the water I can use the AC from the converter by just the flick of the switch.

There are two types of power inverters.  The less expensive type are the Modified Sine Wave inverters (MSW) and is good to run small motors, lights, fans and such. These can run but should not be used to run hi tech electronics like cell phones, plasma screen TVs, Lap tops. The modifies sine wave output is hard on these.

A True Sine Wave inverter should be use with digital electronics.  They are a little more expensive and they will run everything from power tools and high tech electronics with out damaging them.

An example of these are:
The Pro Mariner True Power 400 W Power supply : A MSW unit:
The Xantrex PROwatt SW600 True Sine Wave Inverter: A True Sine Wave Inverter
Both types come in different watt output sizes. Pick a size that meet your need.
These two are good for most needs on a boat but larger sizes are available.



No comments:

Post a Comment