Monday, January 18, 2016

Migraine onset when sailing

I have had headaches, bad headaches on and off all my life.  I can honestly say that headaches are one of the things I truly fear.  I get true migraines with the flashing lights in my head and the floaters in my vision, light and sound super sensitivity, nausea ... the whole package.  I know a few triggers for them and I often have some warning that one is coming on and can often head them off with med's.

If I stop what I am doing and go dormant, take over the counter meds I can often get away with just a mild headache that passes quickly.  I have been taken to the ER a few times by friends when I scared them.  *-)

I went sailing one afternoon by my self.  Was a great day to sail, sunny, light wind and smooth water.  I had been out about an hour when I started getting light flashes in my head.  I headed for home  ASAP!

I had no meds, and I had not let anyone know I was going out by myself.   I had a hand held VAF and a cell phone, but I forgot about both of them.  I just wanted to get home to a dark quiet place.  The headache was coming on fast and I knew I was not going to get back before my head exploded with pain,

I put the boat in to the wind, dropped the sails and just got the hook set when the first wave of pain rolled through my head. I when below and just crumpled on the bunk. I got waves of hed pain and then waves of nausea.  The light breeze that lightly caused the sail to flap sounded light thunder to me.

After about an hour or so I was wishing I would throw up...That often made me feel better, but I also knew I had very little in my stomach.  I drank a bottle of water so I had something in my stomach and got a cat litter bucket I had on board to up chuck in.  The I sat on the head just waiting...Then when it came, I emptied my body from both ends.  I drank a second bottle of water and crawled back on my bunk.  I did feel better and the headache started to back off.

After about another hour I still had a headache but was functional.  I pulled up the anchor and headed fr home using the QUIET trolling electric motor.  It moved the boat about as fast as I could sail but I could go straight back with out tacking.  I pulled in to my slip, tied up and just left everything.  I got my meds and a dark hole to sleep off the rest of the headache.

The next day I went back to the boat and put her away...It was a mess!   When the guy that had the boat next to me ask what happened I just told him had sea sickness the day before.  He said ...sea sick on a day like yesterday...you may want to consider selling your boat.   8-)

No comments:

Post a Comment