Friday, January 22, 2016

Safety cable covers...cheap

I have safety cables along the sides of my boat fore safety reason's like most sailboats. They do the job they were put on the boat, but the ones right around the cockpit can be a comfort problem.  If you lean on them when sailing they sort of cut in to the part of the body resting on them.

My rich brother-in-law (he is not really rich...I am just to cheap) has padded lines.  They are about a 1 1/2 " and soft and they have a canvas cover over them that matches all the canvas on his boat. I really liked them.  He paid a bunch for them. They are functional and  attractive.

I had a few ideas for inexpensive covers for my boat.  My first was the swim noodles kids and old people use in pools. *-)  [I use them in a pool also, but I am not sure if I am a old kid or a young old person] Some of the noodles come with a hole down the middle and you can slide the cable through them. They come in different colors so you can match the color to your boat.  They are about 2" around so they give good padding and you can still easily put your hand around them.  When I went looking for them I found they could cost as much as $20.00. 8-(

Then I found at the hardware store in the plumbing department, foam insulation that slip over hot water pipes.  These were gray and had a split along one side so they fit over and around the pipe. The split has a peal off paper that covers a sticky glue on one side. You put it around the pipe then pull the tape off and the two 1/2s of the split stick together.  And they were way cheaper than noodles. and they look clean and neat. And they easily slip over the cable with the slit in them.  I could sew canvas covers for them but then I would have to fight to slide them over the foam tube.  The foam is tough enough to last a season and cheap enough to replace if it gets damaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment