Thursday, January 26, 2012

Crocs strap line tension-er


Ever need to tie something snug to something but still have it able to move a little and return to its position? I ran in to this when I was working at our dock. My first thought was a bungee cord, but they soon stretch out and do not do the job for long.  What I came up with was to use the strap from a pair of plastic / rubber crocs shoes.
I removed the heel strap off an old pair of crocs I throwing out; the strap is attached to the shoe with plastic rivets and is easy to remove. There is a hole at each end of the strap where the rivet went through the strap. I threaded a line through the hole on one end, pulled the line through, then wrapped the line around the strap a number of turns and then back through the hole at the other end of the strap.
When you use the line to tie something up you can snug it so it is tight, but when tension is put on it the strap wrapped by the cord stretches and lengthens like a spring. This set up will stretch 3” to 4” and returns to the original position.
You can do the same thing with a rubber strap that you can get to hold down tarps and things. These would last longer. The crocs strap was available and cheap, and I could recycle. 8-)

 A quick and easy way to make a self tensioning line using a recycled shoe strap,and it is cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment