Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Dog's Tail


Dog’s tail wagging
My wife and I went out for a relaxing sail today. The wind was about two or three knots at the most so we were going only about one knot faster than the river was going down stream. We went out to relax and just enjoy the warm sunny day. As we were moving up river slowly, a kayaker came out of an oxbow and was fast overtaking us.

The dog saw the kayaker first and started moving around the boat almost prancing. As the kayaker got closer the dog started wagging his tail. The closer the kayaker got the more the dog wagged his tail with excitement. Just as the kayaker got alongside the wind picked up just a little and we started to sail at the same speed as the kayaker was moving at. He looked over and said he was surprised that the dog wagging his tail like that could increase our boats speed that much. My wife replied that on the average, his tail wagging could increase the speed by a ½ to one knot depending on how excited he got, but we could not always count on him. We all got a smile out of it, and the kayaker paddled away leaving us in his wake.

I will have to work that one up into a tale for telling to kids. With the right embellishment, I may be able to get some mileage out of it. The trick is to have a story that lets a sea dog save the day with his tail wagging. Kids love it when a dog saves the day. I tell the little kids I was a cabin boy on Capt. Hook’s ship and learned to sail on his ship, and I helped work on Capt. Nemo’s sub on an island in the South Seas when I got older. The worst part is the younger kids don’t know who Capt. Hook and Capt. Nemo are. When they ask, I tell them to ask their parents because they were scary, and I didn’t think I should tell them about people like that. Or they could Google them, and what is really scary, they know what that means. I guess I am just an old sea dog getting older and I am still looking for Fiddlers Green. I wonder if I can find a compass that will point me to Fiddlers Green. I wonder if Capt. Jack Sparrow’s magic compass could find Fiddlers Green. Maybe I could Google it?
I could call the story something like: Sea Dog Bosco and His Fan Tail. Now the hard part…fabricate a good sea tail. 8-)

No comments:

Post a Comment