Monday, January 2, 2012

Howling Dragon


Howling Dragon Wind Vane
In one of my moments of insanity or was it enlightenment I purchased a dragon wind vane. It is a great wind vane and there is no other in the neighborhood like it. We can always tell people looking for us that it is the house with the dragon wind vane on the house. It has character and it is not the common chicken on a stick wind vane.

 The pivot point of the wind vain started to squeak from lack of oil. To get the ladder out and get up on the roof to oil it was on my to-do list for about 3 weeks. I would oil it when I cleaned the gutters…that was on the to-do list also (for about 5 weeks).

Last Saturday, the last Saturday of the year 2011, I heard a moaning or howling sound while I was having coffee with my wife on our screened porch. We exchanged looks and went in to the yard to see what was howling. We found nothing. Off and on all morning I would hear the low howl. My wife said it could be a bird and then said I hope our neighbors on the South had not gotten a Parrot.
That would put a parrot on each side of us. Our neighbor to the north has a parrot that screams “Danger! Danger! Dive! Dive!”  when a boat comes down our canal or when we take our boat out.

I heard this howl two or three more times but could not find where it was coming from. When I went out to pick up the mail I heard it again. This time I was able to see where it was coming from. When the dragon wind vane turned it would howl and moan. This was great, my dragon howled.

I brought my wife outside and let her see where the howl was coming from, and thought she would be pleased that it was not a parrot. Her response was “that’s an easy fix, and when you are up there, you can clean the gutters also.”

The good that came out of it is that the dragon is quiet, the gutters are clean and there or two less things on my to-do list for 2012. 8-)

 I like it because it is not just a chicken on a stick wind vain: and it howled for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment