Monday, June 18, 2012

Outside litter box screen room for the cats!



Outside litter box screen room

Ok…My wife won, we made an outside litter box station for the cats. She did help with the project and that made everything go much easier. It is a little crude, but we made it from what we had on hand on a weekend. I will redo the project and make it neat and more functional, but for now it works better than I thought it would.

I do not like making holes in walls. What we came up with was using one of the sliding glass doors to the screen porch. I made a frame that would fit in the space where the door had to be open. A cat door was put in the bottom of the frame, and the top was covered with a clear plastic sheet. The door was then blocked in the track so it could not open any farther. Next a simple frame box was made where the cat litter trays would be put, and then a screened framed lid set over the top. I made the frames, and Wendy and I stapled the screen to them.

The setup is crude but functional. The lid comes off to let you scoop the trays; the cats can go in and out through a bubble wrap door my wife made, and most of the litter dirt and smell stay outside.  
We found the cats like to sit outside in the little screen room and look out on the outside.

Then there is still the Newman factor. He can now go in and out easily BUT we had to weight down the lid because he is big and strong enough to push the lid off. I guess that pushes the new improved design project up. Newman is a big pain in the backside. My sister must be loving it!
Newman wants his own way!

No comments:

Post a Comment