Saturday, June 23, 2012

Two use Boat Trailer


My 20 year old truck has had a rough few years and my mechanic said it is not worth spending much on it. I have another not so old truck that looks new and has a bed cover on it that makes the truck look sharp. The bed cover limits what you can put in it. We used the old truck to haul mulch, old appliances, lawn equipment, and junk of all types that cannot go in the newer truck.

Still needing to haul junk every once in a while, I thought of getting a small trailer the nice truck could pull. If I got a trailer, where was I going to store the trailer? It would also have to be licensed. It would be like my boat trailer, it would just sit unused 99% if the time.

IDEA!!! 

I could use the boat trailer…I already have…and it is already licensed. I could build a platform to haul stuff on that would sit on the boat trailer frame. It is a tilt trailer so I could make it so I could tilt the platform and just drive the lawn tractor on to it. Sides could be put on it and mulch moved. The platform could be moved off of the frame when I need it as a boat trailer. 

My wife somehow knew I had gone in to Mad Scientist mode when I started measuring the boat trailer and making a list of stuff. If I do not tell her what my project is, she will not know if what I end up with is what I was trying to do.  8-)   (Man Logic)

When she came home the following day she got to see my creation. She saw my functional trailer that would haul junk as well as the boat. She smiled and asked: What color was it going to be painted?

When my Mechanic saw it, he walked around it and said “that should work”.

Now that it is basically done, painting it is going to be the hardest problem. *-)
No ramp needed when tipped. The platform is held to the trailer with lines that go around the rails and the line is tied to the fish cleats

The boat trailer is one that tips.

A flat bed was put over the rails of the boat trailer.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! It is certainly an impressive idea to build a platform for your boat trailer. Now it can have many functions aside from hauling your boat. Just make sure that all the objects you mount onto the trailer are properly weighed because they might cause the trailer to collapse. After all, it can only hold so much weight before it gives in.

    ReplyDelete