Friday, June 22, 2012

Two Trailer Hitch Balls


Two Trailer Hitch Balls

I have two boat trailers and each use a different side trailer hitch ball. My British trailer uses a much smaller ball then my US made trailer that uses a 2 inch ball. When I got the British trailer the guy gave me a trailer ball with it. I thought that was nice at the time, and I did not pay much attention when he said it was a smaller ball then most trailers use. 

A few years went past and I would just change the ball when I needed to, The British was way too small to use on the other trailer and it was not safe use with that trailer.

I had to use my sister’s truck to move my British trailer a short time back. I forgot about the size difference. When I tried to put the trailer on it would not fit. No big deal…I went to the auto parts store nearby and got a smaller ball. After putting it on the truck I found that the ball was just a shade tight to slip in to the trailer. I figured a little grease on the slightly rusty trailer would help. With the grease and the help of a 200 lbs. friend that stood on the trailer tongue it went on. No problem.

 I towed the trailer with no problems but when I tried to get the trailer off the truck…BIG PROBLEM! When I cranked up the trailer lift, the truck came off the ground. 8-) 

With two people in the bed of the truck for weight, the trailer would not release the truck. More Grease! No release!

I lowered the trailer to put the truck back on the ground, and I figured I would just un-bolt the ball and leave the ball on the trailer.  The ball just turned…too much grease. I spoke a few words in French. 8-)

Two of us worked about an hour to get the nut off the ball so we could get the truck free. Success!
We were sitting on the truck bumper, talking about this adventure and having a cold ice tea when the ball fell out of the trailer. My friend held up his glass of tea and said “job well done”.

No comments:

Post a Comment