Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Schooner Haul Out


Schooner Haul out.

I bought a used Very CHEAP old boat trailer to move the schooner we built. I figured the boat would be in the water most of the time and a boat launch ramp was only 3 miles away.

I rebuilt the top of the trailer to fit the schooner. I had to make wheel fender brackets so the fenders would not flop and had to rewire the lights. The tires were OK and I greased the bearing buddys and the bearing’s seemed OK.   

The trailer seldom needs to be used and other then the minor work I did on it when I bought it, it has just sat and gone down from there. When I had to haul out the schooner I took a close look at the trailer. All four wheels were in bad shape. The lug nuts were rusted on and rounded so I could not get the wheels off but the bearings were OK. I found rust holes everywhere. The trailer is basically scrap metal now. I figured the old trailer has one more trip in her before it gets scrapped.

The boat ramp is only 3 miles away, and the light schooner is very light and the trailer was originally for a much, much heavier boat. I figured I would pull the boat out, do what was needed on the boat, put the boat back in and then scrap the trailer. 

I bought the trailer for $75.00, and I think I can get that for scrapping it.  I think it was a good investment over the long run, and I will be happy to see it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment