Friday, August 16, 2013

You Will Use A Smaller Sailboat More Often



I have fund you will use a smaller sailboat more often. You buy the boat to use so get one that you can use with out a lot of work. Sailing a small boat is as much fun as a big one.

I always wanted a big sailboat so I could just leave the Rat Race and go cruising and live on the boat if it came to that. I could just head for a horizon and leave everything behind. There are a few Big Problems with a large boat though.

Big boats have fewer places you can dock or moor them. There is more upkeep on a big boat. Big boats may take more than one person to sail. Big boats have height and depth constraints. It takes more to get everything ready to sail on a big boat.

Affordability was the main reason I got my 21’ boat. It was my Poor Man’s Yacht. I figured I could always up size as my income got bigger. It was big enough to go costal sailing, had a small cabin, I could get her in places easily, and my dog and I could sail her without any other crew. What I quickly found was that I used my boat much more than any of the other sail boaters used there bigger boats. If you live on your boat it is hard to go sailing in it. Getting it ready to go is monumental. 

After a hurricane down in the Keys, I did have to live on my boat for a month. I made do, but a 25’ or 28’ would have been totally live aboard-able where my 21’ was just adequate for the dog and I. The dog loved it. 8-)

Not long after I met the Love of my life and she came with a 37’ boat. That boat was comfortable to live on with two adult people, two cats and a dog. As time went by we had to move on land because finding a marina where we could live on the boat became almost imposable and way to expensive. We wound a house where we could dock our boats out back and have a real house. We still have his and her boats an we still sail the 21’er regularly. (Big one is a lot of work to get ready and we have to motor ½ day to get to water we can sail her in. 8-(  …)

So Bigger is not always better. You get the boat to sail and you can sail a smaller boat more often. I think a Mini Yacht is a better buy…and it can get you to your horizon in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment