Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Hand made bilge pump

I needed a bilge pump but the closest store where I could get one was over 30 miles away and most of that was water. I did have some ceder boards and an old inner tube from a kids bike. I screwed 4 boards of equal length together to make a square pipe. Cut out notches were made on one end of the pipe to let water in when that end of the pipe was under water and on the bottom of what you needed to drain. A hole was put in one side board to let water out on the pump up stroke. I found a old piece of bamboo to use as a spout for that hole. Last a old broomstick was used for the pump handle that you pulled up and down. I made two rubber squares from the inner tube rubber, that were just bigger then the square pipe inner hole. These were screwed to the end of the broom handle and this was pushed down the wood pipe.


By pushing the rubber squares lower than the intake holes water came in to the pump. Pulling the broom handle up lifted the water up to the exit hole. It worked well enough to get the job I needed done. I still have the pump and improved the rubber flaps so it works better.  My wife says it has a "Little Danny Boy" project look and a old nautical style. What can I say...it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment