Wednesday, October 12, 2011

You can tell its and old boat!

When I told my wife I wanted to build a schooner I was totally taken aback when she did not object. She did put a cap on what I could spend on the project per month. I think she thought it would keep me out of trouble.

The building of the boat went more smoothly than I thought it would. It did keep me out of trouble for the most part. She was launched and we were off with the wind in our sails.

On the water and in a almost noiseless sail boat you can here people talking on shore. We sailed past our local boat launch site on the river and over heard 3 OLD GUYS sitting on the dock just passing the time talk about our boat. One said that you seldom see sailboats on the river sailing...today they just motor up and down the river. They really like to see young folks sailing these days, not just zooming on those little jet things. Then one said that " you can tell its an old boat...they don't make them like that anymore.

My wife, dog and I all had grins on our faces. I could not tell them that the boat was first launched the week before. My goal had been to make it look classic old. I felt the " old boat " comment was a complement and I still do. Being called young folks also was nice.

We have found that sailing our schooner was not as easy as we thought it would be for the two young old folks that we are. More on this at another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment