Sunday, October 30, 2011

Worm farm...Fishing??

After we moved off the boat and on to land my wife has gotten in to gardening and became a member of the local garden club. She now is a Florida Master Gardner and the president of the club. She ask me if I would mind if she had a worm farm that would make high quality dirt for the gardens. I had no objections, I figured they would not be noisy and I might get a supply of worms for fishing as a bonus.They are not good fishing worms, they are to small. The fish like them but you can not get them on a hook. They started out in a box the size work boots would fit in. The next box they were moved to is trunk size. It is about 2'x2'x3' and it is not much bother or in the way and the worms are quiet. The little worms recycle the paper that goes through the paper shreader and some left over salad greens and what ever else she put in the box that they can eat. I just water them once a week.

This week end I got to help harvest the worm dirt. First you scooped out the dirt and put it in a bright area. The worms do not like the light so the go to the bottom. Next you scoop up the dirt, picking out the worms and putting them them in one container and the worm free dirt in another. After that we had to make new bedding for the worms with peat moss and shredded paper, wet it and then release the worms back in the box. Last we had to clean up and save her new worm dirt. I did not find enough big worms to even collect for fishing. She said we should have done the separating a week ago and we would have had bigger worms.

Even though I did not get worms for fishing, the worm farm has some advantages. It gets rid of the shredded paper and my fishing friends THINK I have worms.  

No comments:

Post a Comment