Friday, December 30, 2011

Coconut Cannon Ball Damage to Boat



I like the coconut palms down here in Florida. As a kid I thought that all palms had coconuts. We have one coconut palm and the rest of the palms are called cabbage palms (I think). These are pretty palms but they have quarter size palm nuts instead of coconuts. They fall by the hundreds when are mature and create a huge mess. They can stain the boat fiberglass if they are not cleaned off. I like the coconut palm better. 

When a sudden storm came up a cannon ball size coconut blew off the tree and hit the bow of my boat. It made a impact mark on the boat with spider cracks or stress cracks in the gelcoat, radiating out from the impact point. I did not like the coconut palm that well after that.

It looked like the boat had been hit by a cannon ball. When I called the insurance company about it, the agent only heard “boat damage by cannon ball”. He told me to find out what it might cost to repair the crazing damage. A day or so later an insurance man came out to see the “cannon ball damage”. I would like to have seen the underwriters face when he read that report and saw the damage photo. 

Repairing the crazing to the fiberglass is not a hard job, and I could do it myself. The insurance man said that it might be best to do the repair myself if I could, so the insurance price would not go up. The cost of supplies to repair the damage was much less than my deductible anyway. I would do it myself.

A year or so passed and the person taking care of my insurance changed. One day out of the blue, I got a call from the new agent about the boat coverage. He said he was going over my file and he found a note that the boat had received cannon ball damage, but there was no follow up information on the insedent. I told him my boat had been attacked by a vicious coconut tree, like the apple trees did in the Wizard of Oz, but it pitched coconuts at the boat and me. The boat and I had gotten away with only minor damage and that I repaired it myself, so I did not put in a damage claim. There was silence on the phone for about 15 to 20 seconds and then he said “you are kidding, right”. That was the last I hear about it from the insurance company.

No comments:

Post a Comment