Friday, July 6, 2012

Brass Bucket...Make it shine like Gold!


2 Brass Buckets

One of the things I found when we were cleaning out my sister’s place was a 3 gal. brass Bucket. I put in the collection of things that I would keep. I have another brass bucket that is about a 5 gal. at home and I thought they would look nice together.

When I saw it I remembered it being at my Dads lake cottage for years and that the two buckets came from my Mother’s parent’s farm back in Indiana. There was something about seeing the bucket that gave me a negative feeling but it was fleeting and I did not dwell on it.

When we got back to Wen-Dan Landing and were unpacking all the stuff, we put the bucket on the porch and forgot about it. The other day we were watching the rain come down on the porch and I saw the bucket. I got thinking if I polished up the Brass Bucket it would look nice on the schooner.

Like a ton of bricks that negative feeling hit me and I remembered the history of me and that bucket. Back in the late 50’s when I was 10 or 12 my older brother got into BIG TROUBLE for doing something. I have no idea what “it” was but both of us got punished for “it”. I am sure my Mother came up with the punishment; Dad would have just paddled us.

We were each given a bucket and we had to polish them up to look like gold. I got the small one. My brother got the bigger one because he was older and “should have known better”. It took us the better part of a week to shine those buckets up. I do not know what we used to polish them up, but it took a lot of elbow grease and the polish to get them “to look like gold”. 

I remembered that when we cleared out my Parents home I did not want that bucket so my sister took it. I took the big one that my brother had polished. Now the two buckets are back together and I get a smile when I see them. I have not polished either one up. 8-) But I have noticed my little bucket still has a better shine to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment