Sunday, July 1, 2012

Why Did You Put It There?


You drilled how many hole's!

The two questions I fear most when I install a new instrument is: Why did you put it there? And: How many holes did you drill in my boat? Where you install an instrument it takes a lot more consideration than picking the instrument. *-) My suggestion is first think about where it will be mounted, then pick the unit. Some new instruments are wireless and can make mounting very easy. 

Take a fish-finder as an example. You want to mount it where you can easily see it when you are fishing, high enough you do not have to bend to see it or look around something to see it. If it is movable that is an advantage.

Other considerations are where the wiring will be run and what you can mount it to. The actual mounting is usually simple and straight forward. Start by having a friend (and or owner) make suggestions and diplomatically give your own reasons where it should be put. Everyone sees things from a different point of view. “It looks nice here” and “If it is put here you can easily see it from the back rail” or “if it is there it will be in the way when you…”

After you find the place it will go, follow the mounting instructions and wiring instructions. Most are straight forward and easy. The wiring is usually the hardest part of the job. I do not like to see wiring just strung, I like it hidden when possible and in conduit when not. 

With a fish-finder and some other instruments a sensor is requires, or an antenna is required and these have to be considered. For a fish-finder, where the transducer is mounted to get the best image under the boat and where the display is mounted will determine how much cable will be needed.  

One of my wife’s concerns is “how many holes are you going to drill in my boat!” I always say only two or three and none should below the water line… I hope! You always have to cover your tail.


No comments:

Post a Comment