Thursday, December 15, 2011

Cheap As... Toilet Paper



The toilet paper that you need to use with a boat toilet must be able to breakdown easily so it will go through the boat plumbing to the holding tank and so it can be pumped out of the holding tank. The TP often is a one ply paper and is not soft and plushy like many brands of TP.

After living on board a boat for a number of years, the TP was not a big deal.  When we moved on shore to a house with a septic tank system, we did not change the TP because we figured it would be better for the septic system to breakdown the one ply TP. It was not a big deal.

When my sister came to visit us at our on shore home (She never visited us when we were on the boat) it was an experience my wife and I had not expected. We had moved into the house a few months before. The previous owner had a child, and the one bedroom had little kid curtains on the window. We had left them up, and it was our guest bedroom and we did not use it for much anyway. She took down the kid curtains, made a list of window treatments we needed to get, re arranged the bathroom at that end of the house and told us how the minimal furniture we had should be arranged. We both could hardly wait till she had to go home.

When she told me in an undiplomatic way that I did not need to bring CHEAP AS… TP home form my job for the bath room and I should buy my own TP. My wife and I were dumbfounded. When my wife told her that she had bought the TP, that it was the type we used on the boat and that it was the type recommended for septic tanks, my sister just looked at us as if we were crazy. She said that she had bought “real TP” for us and we could put what we had back on the boat.

When she comes to visit now we put “real TP” in the back bathroom for her. 8-) The guest bedroom still has no curtains, it is the “cat” room now and the cats destroy any window curtains in the room. That’s our story and we stick to it. (Thank you Cats!)

Every time we have to change a roll of TP we think of “Cheap As…TP” and smile. 8-)

I found the perfect Gift for my sister...A FISHING REEL  TP holder for REAL TP. 

No comments:

Post a Comment