Sunday, December 11, 2011

Cannon Want


I saw on the news last night about someone shooting a cannon ball through a neighbor’s house. It went clear through the house, but they did not say where it landed after that. There was some good photos of the holes it made.

As a kid I always liked pirates and buccaneers. The movies I liked were ones with the swashbuckling hero’s and ones that had cannons in them. When I was in high school, my family moved out of town to a farm house in the country. Jeff, a school classmate lived just down the road and we became school bus riding friends and buddies. One afternoon he invited me over to fire a black powder, cap and ball pistol, his dad had given him. I was hooked on the smoke and noise and smell with just one shot.  Jeff’s dad ran a hardware store that had all the stuff that was needed, and I wanted one. My dad said NO WAY; I did not need or have a use for one. He was right, but I still wanted one. To work around it, I bought the supplies and Jeff and I used his pistol.

After I got a boat, I wanted to have a cannon on it, just in case I ran in to pirates. 8-) It was just a thought that jumped in and out of my head off and on for years. Every time there was a pirate festival or event I would get the Cannon Want. When I lived in Key West I saw a small cannon that was about 20 inches long at a cafe and fell in love with it. Now it was my wife that said NO WAY! Her point was it was too heavy for the boat.  She was right about that.

I took pictures of the cannon and tried to make a replica of it. It was OK but it did not look right up close and it did not fire. I still wanted a cannon.

After I built our schooner I got the Cannon Want again after a pirate festival in Ft Myers Fl. A cannon would really look good on the boat at the next pirate festival. That little evil idea floated in my head for weeks. I went to the net and found cannons are not cheap but could be had. I found a fully functional 1/10th scale, brass 24 pounder naval canon kit that was affordable. 

I bought it and put it together. It is one attractive cannon. The cannon looks nice on the boat. There is no way I would fire it. The cannon is not much bigger than the cap and ball pistol I shot as a kid and that had a wonderful kick to it. To tie the cannon down and the fire hazard to the wood and the sails is something I would not even want to contend with. It does look impressive.

I have thought about a larger yard cannon that would fire golf balls, but my wife said NO WAY to that also.  It would drive the head of our neighborhood watch guy and our next door neighbor crazy, so there still may be a chance for that. 8-) 

Here is the address about the cannon ball shot.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2070977/Mythbusters-crew-shoots-cannonball-HOUSE-van-stunt-goes-terribly-wrong.html


The Cannon looks great on the boat, and it could shoot 1/2 inch musket balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment