Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Sailboat for Sail and Sale


Sail Boat for Sail and Sale

I have been ask to sell a friends sailboat. The owner is in the Navy and she has been stationed in Guam, and her boat is at my dock. She does not want her boat to just sit and deteriorate. She did a lot of work on the boat and the boat is in much better condition than when she got it. It’s a nice little boat, and I will try to sell it… It is a great boat for a beginner…it has everything needed to just sail it away.

The boat still has a few things to be done to her, and I will do those as I try to sell it. I just do not want to get too attached to the boat. I have three sailboats now, and you can only sail one at a time. When I work on a boat, the more attached to it I get and I work on it as if it was my boat, doing a lot of little extra things.
For example, I cleaned out one of the cockpit lockers. It was grungy so I washed it down. I cleared out two drain holes of dirt, and then lightly sanded the two wood supports that the hatch lid rested upon and gave them a coat of varnish. The inside of the hatch cover was discolored, so I painted that. This made the hatch on the other side look bad, so I cleaned and painted that storage compartment also.

The second storage area had an access panel to the battery area. I pulled the battery out, it needed charging and the battery lead wires needed new terminals, so I soldered new ones on.

Because we have 6 cats, we have an abundance of square cat litter buckets. These buckets fit nicely in boat storage lockers. I put the loose items like extra lines, tools, sponges and brushes from the locker in the buckets and then the buckets go in the locker. 

An anchor and its rope had just been dropped in the storage locker. Another cat bucket for the line with the anchor stored in it took care that snarl. I started thinking how I could make a frame from scrap PVC pipes for the storage of her life jackets and boat bumpers. I get carried away with doing stuff like this.

My boating friends love to have me work on their boat to do some “little project”. It is “ I can drop my boat off at your dock for a few days and you can take a look at _______”. They know they will get it back with _____________ fixes and _______ taken care of also. I like doing this type of stuff.
If anyone in the Ft Myers, Fl. area would like a wonderful C & C 21 foot sailboat that is fully equipped and ready to sail, E-mail me at bigwtwolf@aol.com.  The price is right, sailing instructions can be given, and even dock space can be had for her. My wife does not want me to get too attached to this boat!

No comments:

Post a Comment