Friday, December 16, 2011

A Sweet Way to Kill Ants !


My wife took me to the Christmas dinner her Herb Club had this season. One of the members ask if anyone had a problem with ants. If you live in South Florida you will have an ant problem once or twice a year. Yards here can get fire ant mounds that pop up overnight. The member had all our attention at once.

She told us that if you put a sweetener with Aspartane in it on the ant trails, the ants will take it back to their colony and the colony will die. She said if you had an ant problem, try it and you could get a packet of sweetener at almost any restaurant when you go out. 

I did an internet search to see what I could learn about it. What I gleamed was that the research on the sweetener was that is safe for us to consume, and that if not safe for ants to consume. The web sight Green Families .com had a nice article. A different article hinted that body size has much to do with the effect on what consumed the sweetener. 
 
I did try it, and I have noticed a reduction of ant traffic along the ant trail I tried it on, and it has only been 6 hours. The article said it could take a few days. I want to try it on one of the fire ant hills. It would be a sweet way to get eliminate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment