Saturday, November 24, 2012

Compass Cats



Compass Cats

My wife noted the other day that most of our herd of cats, when they nap, line up their bodies in the direction of North/South or East/West. I did not really think that was true but I did start taking note how they napped. To my surprise she was right.

Two of our cats, Montmorency and Grayson almost always sleep in the North South line. Burt, Dr. Watson and The Took (all 3 are Tabbies) are East/West nappers.  The others just curl up in round balls.

I told my wife that she was right, they were compass cats. I told her that it was probably because we fed them in steel bowls sitting in cast iron bowl holders. They were getting extra iron in there food so magnetic lines of force were making them lay North/South or East and West. 8-) I also told her that the Cat food she was buying was high in Iron and I was sure that was part of it. I figure that because we are way South and near the Equator the magnetic effect would have more effect than if we lived farther north.

I suggested she take a compass and put it near the cats to see what effect the cats would have on the compass. I think I over did it with the last part. She knew I was pulling her leg when I said that. 8-)
I should have pretended to comb out small metal things from the long haired cat and showed her the results. 8-)

I do not know why the cats nap on the compass lines, they just do. I did notice that we now have a few non-metallic feeding bowls for the cats. 8-) And I think she looked to see how much Iron was in the cat food.


No comments:

Post a Comment