Friday, November 30, 2012

Fishing line and Troling Motor Do Not Mix



Line eating trolling motor

I thought I would do a little fishing near the mouth of the canal we are on. I put the trolling motor on our dinghy and loaded up some fishing supplies a life jacket and headed out. I put one line in and started getting a second pole ready. I changed the hook, got some bate, and was just messing around in the boat when I noted that the dinghy had drifted in to the shore.  

I did not think much of it, I slid over to the motor and started it up. Suddenly the first line I had put in started running out. The real started to wiz and before I realized that the line was in the trolling motor prop the pole flew up and hit me.

Boy that motor ate the line quickly. I figured I would just go back to the dock and clear it. WRONG…I had not brought the oars. I had to take the motor off the boat and into the boat to remove the line. About 20 Min. later it was back in working order, but I was in no mood to fish. Fishing line cuts your hands better than you can cut it. I must have pulled 70’ of line off the prop shaft. By the time I got the line off the motor I had drifted about 80’ don stream and in to bank weeds.

I hand paddled the boat out of the weeds so I could use the motor. I knew better than to try to use the motor to back out of the weeds. Last year when I tried that the weeds caused the nut on the prop to un-screw and the prop came off. Than I had a paddle with me so I was not stuck. 8-)  

I have to say I got a nice rush when I thought I had got a fish, and then when the pole hit me I was mad. The whole thing was funny by the time I made it back to the dock. I had heard of people getting there line in the prop, but I thought you had to be dumb to do it.  8-) 8-) *-)

No comments:

Post a Comment