Thursday, August 2, 2012

Boat trailer tires


Boat trailer tires are not car tires.

I had to get a replacement tires for my boat trailer and I stopped at a local tire shop. It was not a BIG NAME place, just a small local shop I have used before. I told him what I needed and he said he could get what I needed the next day. He said he did not normally stock specific trailer tires. I questioned him about that.

He said that trailer tires are unlike tires for your car in that trailer tires have strengthened sidewalls to handle the weight of a boat or load. They can be either bias or radial tires.  Bias tires are cheaper than radials and are not as good if long trips are done. Also you should not mix bias and radials on the trailer. 

A trailer tire will have “ST” on the sidewall or say Trailer use only. Like all tires they should be balanced and have proper inflation.  
  
The shop owner said most tire places will sell you a car tire. It is nice to have a someone wanting to sell you the correct product, not just what he has to sell that is on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment