Friday, August 3, 2012

Solid Waste Management on the Marina Bottom


Solid Waste Management on the Marina Bottom

After I got a new fish-finder with down scan imaging, I was intrigued on what could be seen lying on the bottom. Some things were quite recognizable.

The river water is not all that clear; it has a 2 to 3 foot visibility most of the time.  Add to that, gators, and you really are reluctant to do any diving. What you can see on the down scan image are for the most part, hard objects. Things like tree branches, old chairs, concrete blocks, and old metal objects show up nicely. Soft plastic stuff is not seen well.

I have a cheap under-water camera that I can drop over the side also. If I find something like a chair; I can drop the camera down to see it. It is surprising what you can pull up with a grappling hook. A large magnet can retrieve other things. What upsets me the most is what I call soft trash: plastic and glass bottles, old tarps, aluminum cans, batteries and junk. You cannot snag most of this stuff with a hook. There are alligators in our area and I am reluctant to swim with them just to pick out trash.

Most of the stuff could have simply been trashed in a waste can on shore. It is sort of fun pulling up junk but it is also depressing to see what is down there that is not easily retrieved. Lets keep our waterways clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment