Monday, August 27, 2012

Warranties on Electronic Products


Warranties on Electronic Products
When I buy a new electronic product the salesman always wants to sell me an extended warranty. I do not buy them. The seller makes a big profit on these extended warranties, because they are seldom used.
Today’s electronics are very reliable and if a component fails it will fail shortly after it is put into service. If it fails after the warranty, it is often not economical to repair and money is better spent on a new improved model. The new models often have features you now want anyway.
I did electronic repair for a number of years, and I hated the warranty repairs. The manufacturer would pay us a flat rate, and supply the parts. If the repair took more than a ½ hour, I lost money. I would look for anything that could void the warranty, all of us service techs did. Impact, sand, moisture damage, dog or child teeth marks and the like, voided the warranty. I was not all that much of a stickler about warranties. If it was a simple easy fix I just did it even if it was not really a warranty job.
My view on it now is that if the electronic product is under warranty, have a warranty repair facility fix it. If they void the warranty, ask if they will give you anything for it for parts. They often will, and you will get something out of it. Then spend your money on a new product.
With the electronic navigation equipment we sell at The Digital Compass Shop when we get a notice that the equipment has failed, I tell them if it is under warranty try to get it fixed. If it is not repairable under warranty I will offer a discount on a new replacement for it. That is only fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment