Friday, August 24, 2012

Silver, China, Crystal, Collectables


Silver, China, Crystal, Collectables...use and enjoy them!

With the death of my sister (from natural causes), and having to take care of her estate, I have been thinking about all the things one collects. In my family when I as growing up, the good silver ware, the nice china and the crystal were used only on special occasions. I fell in to the same habit.

All of a sudden I now have the silver, china, and crystal from my parents, my sister, my brother and the stuff I had bought. I have a ton of stuff. I also have all the "every day" stuff. Storage is a problem.

We decided we had to get rid of a lot of stuff. We both decided that what good is having all these nice things and only use them every once in a while. We both enjoy the "nice stuff" so now we are using it every day. We can not take it with us, and if it breaks, it breaks. My brother was using the "good stuff" he had the last few months before he died and I remember him saying "nice things should be enjoyed, that is why you have them.

We are now enjoying all these things and not feeling bad about it. I do not care what others might think if they notice. But who is around to notice...8-)...and the dog and cats will not tell. The cats do not mind drinking out of a silver dish that has my parents name engraved on it that was given to them on an Anniversary. I am also finding that a cheap wine does taste better in a crystal glass. 8-)

As my brother said "nice things should be used and enjoyed"     

No comments:

Post a Comment