Saturday, December 1, 2012

Halyard Knot



How to tie a Halyard Knot

I had to replace my halyards on our day sailor this year. What I thought would be a quick and easy job was a ½ day project. The original lines that came off had the hardware spliced on the ends.
I bought an extra 6’ of line for both halyards so I could splice the ends. Splicing is a skill that takes doing it regularly or often to get good at. That’s why I got the extra line. I started with a piece of scrap line, got the directions and the tools out and tried it. I gave up on my first try after about 10 minutes.

After a cup of coffee and some encouragement from the dog and cats I tried again on the other end of the scrap of line. The dog thought it was great…He must have thought I was making him a pull toy.  My second attempt was marginally better than the first. On a scale of one to ten, my first try was a 1, and my second try was a 1.25.

My wife said I should try on a piece of new line…it is more slippery and that may be easier to do. With a last comment, she said, my first two tries was as good as she had ever gotten, and that her X was the one that could splice lines, but had left her the tools.

I thought that using new line could really make a difference being more slippery; since where I had my problem was getting the line to slip into itself. I tried a piece of new line. It was more slippery but it was also stiffer. My next two tries rated a 1.75 and maybe a 1.85 with 10 being perfect. Now the dog had two pull toys.

I got out another book that had splicing instructions and how to tie knots in it and tried the instructions on splicing from it. The result was a splice that I would rate at a 2.1. At this rate I figured I would need to buy an extra 60’ of line to practice on. I had thoughts of asking my Wife’s X if he could help, but that was only a thought I let blow away in the wind. If he could do it, I should be able to do it. 8-)

I went back to the book. In the index was: How to tie a Halyard knot.
The sun came out, the birds started to sing, and I knew I could tie this knot: 8-) 8-) *-) *-) 8-) Yes!

Here is a Picture of how to do a halyard knot. 

Now we can go sailing again. And maybe I will get some extra rope for Christmas to practice splicing with . 8-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment