Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Combo instruments

All the manufacturers are coming out with combo instruments and the price of these dual instruments is the same as single use instruments for the most part.  One thing I like about these are that it can give you a redundancy of instruments.  For example Standrd Horizon Matrix 2200 AIS/GPS is a VHF radio that is a 30w, with integrated 66 channel WAAS GPS antenna, Automatic identification system and GPS on the radio and it also has a Compass. It has  waypoint and GPS status pages. It is about $600.

A VHF Radio, a GPS, and a compass all in one. An other combo unit is the Humminbird Helix 5 Sonar / GPS combo. This guy has Chart plotting and is a dual beam sonar with a GPS.

These are just two samples of combo units. It makes safety sense to have back up systems if you go out of sight of land. If you are near land, the Smart Phones now can be navigation units: Phone, GPS, compass. I often use my I phone on the boat...it is quick and easy and it gives me basic information.
 digitalcompassshop.com

I still like the basics when I boat.  A magnetic compass, a hand held VHF and a depth sounder are the 3 things I use most.   Mainly the depth sounder.  I must be getting old...the new high tech stuff is nice but ...   

No comments:

Post a Comment