Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Lazy Jacks have both good and bad points.

Lazy Jacks are lines that are on each side of the main sail that more or less catch and hold the sail over the boom when it is lowered or dropped.  One thing that is nice with lazy jacks is that when you drop the sail it dos not fall all over the cockpit and thus you have better visibility to drive the boat in to the dock.  If the sail is down just for a short time it is contained on the boom.  It makes putting sail ties around the sail to tie the sail to the boom quick when putting the boat away.

With that said, it makes putting a sail cover over the sail more work and it you are not straight in to the wind when raising the sail, the sail may catch on the jacks when you put it up.  Everything has advantaged and disadvantages.  On my boat I found that they were as much of a pain in the rear as they were a help.  When I replaced my standing rigging a few months ago I did not replace them when I stepped the mast.  I can say I really do not miss them and there are fewer lines I have to deal with,,


No comments:

Post a Comment