Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The most used boating tool!

I think the most used tool or gadget I use on all 3 of my boats is a wet dry vac. I have a cheap one that snaps to the top of a bucket I got at Home Depot for about $20.  It is small enough to store easily and the bucket is used for other things also.

I use it in blower mode first to just get leaves and light dirt off the boat.  Then switch the hose to the vacuum hole and suck up little stuff the blower mode did not get rid of and I suck out the scup.per drains to make sure the are clear.  My boats are on a canal with big pine trees and other trees and I get a lot of fall out from them.

After using the Vac a quick rinse off with a hose is all that is needed most of the time.  If I do not do this I have a hard time getting the little heavy dirt to since out of the small holes in the gunnels.  I also use the vac inside the cabin to clean it and if there is any water in the bilge I can suck it out.  I took a piece of hose and snaked it down under the floor of the cabin and I can just put the vac hose over it and suck out any accumulation down there.  It eliminated removing access panels do get at that area. Fast and easy.

With the dinghy's, I bucket bail if there is a lot of water and vac the rest that the bucket can not get. I had two bilge pumps in our Livingston but they did not really take care of the problem and they also required a battery left in the dinghy.  The vac was just easier because the pumps did not get rid of the leaves and seeds so you still had to clean them out with a vac or bucket.  

No comments:

Post a Comment