Friday, November 25, 2011

Antique Man


When I heard that one of the young adults down the street calls me the Antique man, I was not sure if it was complement or not.  Bobby is a young man with more time on his hands and no full-time job, so he is often out and about.

He will often stop by to help me with a project I am working on, and ask questions and add suggestions. I enjoy using many of my granddads tools doing wood working projects. Granddad was a farmer in Indiana and did carpentry work for others. I have many of his old antique tools, and I enjoy using them.

Bobby had never seen tools like them and was captivated that you could do stuff without power tools. He was most captivated with some of the old wood planes I have. He had no idea you could make molding and different shapes using hand tools. He had never seen a brace and bit, a draw knife, or carving chisels that I used. I showed him some of the different tools and told him what they could be used for. His comment was you can buy most of that stuff pre made or use power tools to do it in half the time.

He needed to use the phone one afternoon; his cell phone had no signal so I let him use the phone in the work shop area. He had never seen a rotary dial phone and was not sure how to use it. The phone still works ok and it is just fine for the work shop. I must be the antique man because of the old tools, two boats that are older than he is, an old pickup truck almost as old as he is, and an old phone. I am not the oldest guy on our street so it cannot be my age. 8-)






No comments:

Post a Comment