Saturday, November 5, 2011

My First Sailboat.

My first sailboat was one my Dad bought from a cub scout troop that was selling it so they could get a new one. Dad gave them a big donation and I got this junk boat with the idea that it would keep me out of trouble while I fixed it up. It was in sad shape. Roofing tar was the bottom paint, the canvas that had been the deck cover was mostly gone and the inside paint had at least 4 colors with all layers peeling.

I thought it was great. I spent most of the summer working on the boat. I spent the summer cleaning, scraping, replacing parts, making things, painting, and dreaming of high seas sailing.These made the summer pass fast. The boat went into the water at the end of the summer. It was a much better junk boat by then and I needed to try it out. It was fun, and my Dad found it to be more fun than he thought it would be. He became interested in sailing and got into the "how to sail" part of it. Over the winter, his interest grew, and in the spring he bought the family ( him ) a real sailboat to use on the lake.

My boat just sat on shore. My Mom came up with a use for it. She made it to a planter box in front of the lake cottage. It made a better planter box then a good boat to sail. The boat did get me and my Dad into sailing. Getting a new nice sailboat and learning to sail  made my dreams of high seas sailing grow.

I knew I would have a yacht someday and have it take me to the horizon. Like Captain Jack Sparrow said ...A boat is freedom.

 "Bundin er batlaus madur" ... a viking proverb..."bound is a boatless man".


No comments:

Post a Comment