Sunday, November 13, 2011

Hot Dogs As Bait


The fish in the river are not as picky about the bait they hit on as salt water fish.  When a pair of good old boys passed our dock fishing I ask them if they had had any luck and what they were using for bait. One of the guys held up a nice large-mouth bass and said hot dogs. I smiled and gave him a thumb up.
When I told the story to a coworker and he said they would do a lot better with real bait.

The following weekend we did our regular sail on the river, trolling as we sailed along­­. We did get one hit and the fish took the lure. I had brought a hot dog along just as a joke. With nothing to lose we made two hot dog fish from the wiener.  A hook slid into it neatly and over the side it went.  We were passing the opening of an oxbow and a fish hit the wiener fish. It was a beautiful bass. I made the comment that one more like this and we would have a nice fish dinner. The second wiener fish was put on the line.  The same thing happened.  A second bass was caught.  When we got back to the dock, I had to have a photo taken to show my coworker
.
We have not had such great luck again, but hot dogs are good bait and they are cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment