Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Kayak Dogs


We should use our kayaks more since it is good exercise, but I felt guilty leaving the dog behind. Sherlock would get frantic when I would leave him on shore or on the boat and paddle off. He would watch me till I was out of sight and then start howling. I thought the dog was too large for the kayak and would have a problem getting in.
I put our two person kayak in the water by the dock and went to get a small beverage cooler to take with me. When I got back the dog was in the kayak. I think he was smiling, and he was ready to go. He filled the front of the kayak and I had to put my cooler in my half.
I got in, and we paddled off. He loved it. He would ride looking forward, then turn around and ride looking backward. His tail would get wet on the turns, and he would slap me with his wet tail when he would wag it. He didn’t mind that he had a wet tail, he was kayaking with me.

The down side was that my wife could not come along.  The dog and I decided that she should not be left behind, so we got her a little kayak.  The new dog in the family now rides with her. We still should use the kayaks more, and it is good exercise, but now getting ready is more work.
Sherlock and I ^   Bosco and Wendy >

No comments:

Post a Comment