Sunday, November 20, 2011

Crazy Kayaker


The day was just a little to gusty for me to feel safe out on my sailboat by myself. The wind blowing straight down the river and it was beautiful day to be on the water. I figured I would take the kayak out, stay near the riverbank and paddle up wind. If it was too windy for that I would fish from the dock or something.
I headed up wind, and everything went well. Paddling into the wind was not too bad, and going back should be a snap with the wind behind me. As I was paddling I remembered a fellow kayaker/sailor that said he had gotten a sail for his kayak for when he was going down wind. He had said it was fast and easy.
I had the cover that went over the cockpit of the kayak with me. I thought I could use that on the way back as a sail just to try it. I stored the paddle in its holder, put my arms in the cover to hold it out and up, and the kayak took off down wind. Just before I got to our canal I put the cover away and got the paddle out. It was neat.
 I found an old umbrella that was bigger than cockpit cover and went back to the kayak. After going up wind again I tried the umbrella on the way back. It was crazy fast and fun. You could almost ski behind the kayak. I went up and down the river three or for four more times playing with the set up. It was crazy fun. I want to check on line on sail kits for kayaks, and may have to buy one for the kayak. I am sure they would work better than the umbrella. That would make it super crazy fast and fun!    

No comments:

Post a Comment