Saturday, November 5, 2011

Parka weather in Florida

When the temperature drops to the 60's here in South Florida it is parka weather for anyone that has has been down here for over ten years. We had our first cold front of the season come through last night. Wife and I awoke to find the dog and cats on the bed with us. After getting up and getting the coffee going the good wife came back to find me and the dog still trying to stay warm...now with both of us under the covers. I told her it was a one dog night. Up in Alaska the Indians would say how cold it was by saying how many dogs were needed to sleep with them to stay warm.

Over coffee we both agreed that it was a good morning to wake up in the house and not on the boat. Then we started  talking about cold weather stories and that movie where the one kid Double Dog Dares another kid he would not touch his tongue to a metal post in the school yard. In real cold weather when you are one a boat the same thing can happen. Damp gloves will freeze to shrouds and so on.

I remembered a story about me and my brother up in Poland, Indiana on a hot July day. One of those days when smiling would make you sweat.To get cool, my brother came up with the idea of getting ice from the freezer and sitting on it. Sounded like a good idea. We got a couple of metal ice cube trays from the freezer and were headed outside to sit on them when I came up with the idea that we could lick them like a big popsicle. My brother tried it. His tongue stuck to the bottom of the tray...realty well stuck, then he got his lips stuck. Such screaming came from him, that both my parents came out to see what I had done to my brother. Dad could not help but to laugh and this made my brother scream louder. That caused the tray to fall off. My brother told me he would kill me if I told any of his friends what happened. I did not have to, my parents did that for me. *-)  For years after that " go lick an ice cube tray " was the come back line my sister and I would use with him.  That would make him steam and take our discussion up to the next confrontation level instantly.

The temperature is supposed to get up to the 80s today. I still got out my box of sweatshirts and sweaters so they will be acceptable for the rest of winter down here. I did use my parka for a few minutes but I found it a little over kill for 68 degrees. I will save it for when it drops below 64 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment