Saturday, July 20, 2013

Drift-fishing




Drift-Fishing

I fish off our sailboat regularly. If I go out and the wind is so light that sailing will not let you get anywhere, I will do a little drift fishing. It is better than just sitting at the dock. I put a line over each side of the boat that has a weight, a leader and a hook with bait. I put a bobber on the line if I have one.
Now I just let the boat drift and read a book or magazine. It is like jug fishing, but the boat is the jug. 
Jug fishing from a sailboat is a pain in the back side so I just drift fish. It is amazing how many chapters you can get through before you see you have a fish on both lines. I think I need to put a bell on the rod tips to wake me up. It is our dog that often lets me know when there is a fish on the line.

The Livingston flats boat we have is great for drift fishing. You can put two or three lines out on each side of the boat and with that many lines it can keep you busy. A pontoon boat I think would be great to drift fish with. It would be much easier to move around in then in our Livingston. Be sure to take a magazine or book. If you have one you will catch fish. If you do not have one you will not. So always take a book to read if you want to catch fish. 8-)




No comments:

Post a Comment