Sunday, July 28, 2013

Mullet Jumping



Mullet Jumping
About the only way to catch mullet is with a cast net. I can not throw one with any success so the mullet in the river and canal are safe from me. But the mullet still tick me off by jumping.

The mullet jump all over the canal and river. When you are fishing and not catching anything and see all these mullet jumping, it is frustrating. You know there are fish out there, but you are not getting any share of them at all. Then you get your hook caught in the weeds ( or in my case a tree ) and have to try to retrieve it. With the retrieval attempt you know you will scare any fish that were there away. Then a mullet jumps out of the water 4’ from your boat just to tick you off. These mullet are 12” to 15” in size. Then you catch a 4” bluegill on a bait that is for a 12” fish.

I was out the other day and put 2 jugs out to maybe catch a catfish and then started casting with a swim bait set up. I had no luck with the cast fishing and was just sitting there when a herd of mullet came swimming and jumping past my boat. I know they did it just to taunt me. Then I saw one of my jugs take off. 

I moved to the trolling motor, put it in forward and all I got was noise of water fluttering. I put it in reverse and the same thing. I tipped the motor up to see the prop…No prop!
I had not bothered to bring the gas tank for the 8 horse, I was just going to go to the river end of the canal and fish there. 8-(

At least I had brought the oars. By the time I had gotten to the Jug, the fish had ditched the hook. At that point I just rowed to the other jug and picked it up and the back to the dock.
I guess not all was bad. Now I have a real reason to go to the Bass shop. 8-)  


No comments:

Post a Comment